Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Things we are into right now... Seattle Edition

Seattle is one of our favorite places that we are fortunate to visit each year, so writing this was so both fun and hard too, since it made us sad that we'll have to wait a whole year to go back and experience this all again. We had an amazing time at Flatstock 22 and Bumbershoot this year and we will be posting photos soon, but until then, here are some things we like in Seattle. - Beth & Mark

Pike Place Market
It is hard to think of Seattle and not think of the Pike Place Market. One of my favorite places in the entire world. It is THE best farmer's market you will ever go to and if we weren't flying home, I would try to buy one of everything to take home with me. With fresh produce, flying fish and beautiful flowers everywhere, this bustling indoor/outdoor market has over 200 year-round vendors, there is definitely something for everyone there. We make the trip to Pike Place yearly and as part of the trip, we also make a visit for lunch at Lowell's. A three floor restaurant and bar that overlooks the Port of Seattle. Lowell's has some of the best seafood I have ever eaten in my life, and a couple years ago that is where I tried my first fish taco! YUM!

Bluebottle Art Gallery and Store
After our yearly trip to Pike Place and a filling lunch at Lowell's, we decided to do some walking so we didn't all pass out. Our best pal and traveling partner, Strawberryluna asked if we could stop by a gallery/boutique that carries her work. We walked to the Capitol Hill area and stopped into Bluebottle Art Gallery and Store. It is small, quaint and it instantly made me happy. I saw artwork from some of our very talented friends, like Strawberryluna, Tad Carpenter, Eleanor Grosch and also work from some of my other favorites, Amanda Visell, Drake Brodahl, Julie West and so so many more. Bluebottle is owned by husband and wife team, Andrea and Matthew Porter. Bluebottle serves as headquarters to Matthew, who is an artist and Children's Book illustrator. I am a big fan of Matthew's illustrations, I bought his alphabet book last year as a gift for my nephew, Noah, and wanted to buy it again this year for my brand new niece, Teagan. Matthew was manning the register at his lovely store and was kind enough to sign both books that I bought. This store had so much stuff I wanted to buy, I really had to hold back.

Dick's Drive In
One of the greatest things about living in a free society is fast food. The idea that you can simply pull into restaurant, cough up two bucks and be on your way with a burger, still blows my mind. So, I try to exercise this right as much as possible and thank my lucky stars that I live in the glory of freedom and not a communist country like Europe. Needless to say, nothing symbolizes my right to choose like a fresh bag of Dick's! With a overly simple menu and even simpler pricing, they turn it over quick. I prefer the simple burger and not the fancy one. I also always have the strawberry shake, which sometimes I pretend is Pepto Bismol, so I don't feel like I'm stuffing myself too much. Sure, the skeptics will complain that you have to pay for ketchup, but I say, ask any European if they'd pay a nickel to be free! Hero Fun Fact No. 238: I (Mark), have never spent over 24 hours in Seattle without putting some Dick's in my stomach!

Easy Street Records

It's easy to see how Seattle keeps such a great music and design scene. With Easy Street sitting proud to nurture the ears and eyes of Seattle. It's big but not overwhelming. It rocks, but not too loud. It lets you be, but is friendly if you need help. It's everything that is right about an indie record store and everything that is missing when buying a track off iTunes. For the kids at Hero, it's our second favorite record store in the world! Number one being ear X-tacy in Louisville, of course!

The Mecca Cafe
The Mecca is a fabulous 80 year old dive diner/bar up the block from the hotel that we stay at every year. Complete with vintage vinyl booths, a jukebox and most of the original decor from it's beginnings in 1929. We love to hit the Mecca up for breakfast, we love their super delicious unpretentious coffee and the Salmon Saute is pretty much the most amazing breakfast, with the freshest salmon you could ever imagine. Oh and I have three words for you, THICK CUT BACON!!! (see above photo) Probably the best bacon I have ever eaten. The Mecca is also a great watering hole, but most times we are drinking on the rooftop of our hotel with the fabulous view of the Puget Sound.

Area 51
On our day off while walking, we stumbled on this great furniture and housewares store, Area 51. A huge space filled with new and vintage, modern furniture and housewares. So many beautiful mid century modern pieces that I would die to come across in a thrift store or at a garage sale. Obviously, these items were all carefully selected and far out of my price range, but I could have spent all day in there. They had the largest collection of over sized sign and marquee letters I have ever seen in person. I had to fight wanting to walk out with one.

2 comments:

Delicious Industries said...

Sounds like you guys had a great time Seattle. It's somewhere I've always wanted to visit.

Bluebottle Art Gallery said...

Thanks for visiting & hope we see you next year!
Andrea @ Bluebottle